I’m normally a bit put off by a normal size cupcake, they’re just… a bit too big. I like the size of a fairy cake, but I prefer the shape of a straight edged cake, that’s why when I spotted the mini cupcake tins I just have to buy them. (Yes, I HAVE to)
This is just a simple, simple cake batter but I’ve put in lemon curd in the icing. And it just adds a bit more zing than plain lemon icing and if you prefer, you can fill the little cupcakes with a tiny bit of lemon curd inside!
Mini Lemon Cupcakes
- 4 oz softened butter
- 4 oz caster sugar
- 4 oz self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- zest of 1 lemon
- 60 g softened butter
- 10 ml lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon curd
- 200 g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 200'C, line your mini muffin tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar till it's light and fluffy.
- Add in flour and baking powder, then slowly put in the eggs and mix well. Stir in lemon zest.
- Fill the cases to 1/2 full and bake for 10 -12 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Cool in the tin for a few minutes and then cool on a rack.
- In a big bowl, mixed butter, lemon juice and zest, lemon curd and 100g icing sugar together. Then gradually add in the remaining icing sugar until you reach the ideal consistency.