I’m a firm believer in full fat stuff. I prefer full fat milk, full fat cheese, full fat Philadephia, and I love pork crackling. You get the picture, basically anything fatty. James is doing fine since he’s running and Ashleigh’s doing fine since he’s growing, but me, on the other hand, is starting to look rounder on the edges.
So! On top of running around with Ashleigh, I’m gonna cut down a little bit on my sweet treats. Cakes with icing will be a no no until at least Chinese New Year is out the way. Arrrgh it’s so hard being Chinese, since we have to do everything twice! Chinese New Year, Chinese Valentine’s day… I’ll be truly in trouble if there were a Chinese Christmas.
Stupid thoughts aside, here’s my bright idea. No butter flapjacks!!!! Flapjacks gives you this illusion of being healthy as it’s mainly oats, but last time I made it, all I remember was the massive block of butter that I melted in the pan, along side a significant amount of brown sugar. Hehe. I am here to save your day. Check this out:
- 200g rolled oats
- 25g raisins
- 25g sultanas
- 15g dried cranberries
- 10g flaked almonds
- 1 tsp cinnamon (or mixed spice)
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 100ml milk
- 2 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 160'C / gas mark 3 / 325'F
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix all the wet ingredients in another bowl, then pour into the dry ingredients.
- Give everything a good stir and pour the mixture in a small baking tin.
- Pack the mixture down with the back of a spoon, bake for about 30 mins or until set.
- Mark the flapjacks with a palette knife when it's still warm, leave in the tin to cool.
My verdict is that it doesn’t taste as nice as the butter ones, BUT and it’s a big but, they taste nice! I think next time I’ll put more raisins in them as the sweetness mainly comes from them. Or maybe a bit more golden syrup…
If you’re after another low-fat (or lower-fat) version of a tasty treat, do check out my Butterless Chocolate Brownies recipe too! Or have a look at my full list of sweet treats here! Happy eating x 🙂